Sunday, September 4, 2011

5 Things I've Learned from Watching Speed

I know this may seem unlikely, but I actually watched Speed for the first time last night. It wasn't because I decided to wait seventeen years after, but mainly because of timing. Speed was one of those movies that always came on when I couldn't or didn't feel like watching. It's original theatrical release was when  I was six but obviously if I did see it, I wouldn't remember it. So without further ado, I present 5 things I've learned from watching speed.

1. Make sure you know that the villain is definitely dead.

No, it' s not rocket science. The heroes, Jack and Harry (portrayed by Keanu Reeves and Jeff Daniels, respectively) didn't double check to see if Howard Payne (Dennis Hopper) was really gone. Just because you don't see him, doesn't mean he expired. As Gus once said in Psych, "no body, no crime," or in this instance, "no body, no closed case."

2. Know your respective bus route.

I've known this since I was a freshman in college and I accidentally took the wrong route all the way to work. Fortunately, for me it was before I was actually supposed to be at work. Poor Doug Stephens (Alan Ruck) was a tourist without a clue and nearly went crazy during the whole adventure.

3. Don't stand around when there's a madman on the loose.

Harry, unfortunately learned this the hard way by looking aimlessly in Payne's house. Annie (Sandra Bullock) nearly paid the price for thinking a man in uniform is the right person to listen to. You have to be alert and make sure you know who you're dealing with before you do anything.

4. Make sure you know how to drive in LA traffic.

If you go too fast, you'll hit someone. If you go to slow, you'll hit someone. And even if you did get a ticket or other reprimand for speeding, make sure you know the consequences. If Annie hadn't had her licensed revoked, she probably would have never even had to get on the bus.

5. "Relationships under intense circumstances never last."
I think that pretty much sums it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.