Thursday, July 21, 2011

Clash of the Box Office Titans

Summer movies are in full effect. From superheroes to super comedians, there is something for everyone marketed. However, the new trend for this year is the romantic/dirty/sex comedy that uses some combination of sex jokes, big stars, and gags to get audiences to flock. So far this summer I have seen Bridesmaids and The Hangover Part II and between the two of them there is one clear winner. Bridesmaids by far is funny, witty and silly. Something I think a lot of movies have  been lacking lately. I will venture to say it is a one of kind film. And I wasn't alone. According to Box Office Mojo it has grossed  $161 million alone domestically and become the highest grossing R rated comedy ever. Even though The Hangover II has grossed more, it lacked the initial spark of the first movie. The reviews reflected this and I think that even though the financial success is there it can't ever duplicate the magic of the first film.
  Bridesmaids to me is unique because it shows that American audiences are open to funny women who aren't necessarily ladylike or stereotypical of the romantic comedy formula that has been sold but is ultimately failing with audiences (Something Borrowed, anyone?). I really believe that these kinds of comedies are going to give the diversity needed to show that female characters aren't all the same in the movies.
 Bad Teacher is another example of how a funny woman is not only bankable but charming. Cameron Diaz is finally allowed to be her funny, zany self which I think is her best self. I haven't seen the movie, but the reviews have been mixed. Once again I think it boils down to writing and character development. The idea is fresh so it will only be a matter of time until we see how it works out.
 Soon to come this weekend is the much publicized Friends with Benefits or the Natalie Portman/Ashton Kutcher movie (No Strings Attached) with more appropriate casting as I like to think of if.  NSA did make 70 million domestically according to Box Office Mojo but really the problem was in the casting. Yes Portman and Kutcher are in the same peer group but their respective claims to fame are different. Ashton Kutcher married the most famous Brat Pack alumni while punking celebrties and Natalie Portman made Oscar worthy films in which she finally won one this past year. I'm not saying one is better than the other but in order for anything in the movies to work you have to believe the chemistry. This one didn't sell me with the casting or the previews, but Ludacris as a best friend did seem interesting. I think this is a movie I'll more than likely catch on TBS in 2013.
 Friends with Benefits is directed by Will Gluck, the filmmaker behind the first witty and insightful teen comedy in nearly a decade, Easy A. And as most know it stars Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake, two people who seem to match better on paper than Kutcher and Portman. I think another plus for this movie going in is that it is debuting against Captain America (which I'll address in another posting). The premise isn't different but I think just looking at the previews enriches my desire to see it. The pop culture references, the dialogue, seems funnier and fresher. I think Will Gluck has a knack for that and along with the star pairing it works.
 Interestingly enough Jessica Biel (Justin Timberlake's real-life ex or something like that) auditioned for the film. I hate to be honest, but it would have never worked (Gigli, anyone?). Jessica Biel is a former teen star known for action roles and lad mag covers more than actual acting gigs. Chemistry doesn't always translate onscreen but we'll never know unless they make a movie together.
  Back to Friends with Benefits, I'm definitely going to see it. I mean if you don't like laughing or Mickey Mouse Club alumni I understand, just don't tell me how it ends.

1 comment:

  1. This is a cool blog! Your reviews sound so professional! Good to hear that you're doing well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.