Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Trying to Erase the Hate

 A new show will debut tonight on the CW. It's called H8R. This show is created in a Punk'd like format for those who don't like a certain celebrity and that celebrity randomly confronts them to dispel rumors and misconceptions. I think this is a great idea, whether or not I agree with the choice of celebrity. There's too many anonymous commenters online, snarky bloggers with too much attitude, and people who feel that because of the internet you can say whatever about whoever and not be accountable.
 I disagree. Whatever you write, rather you are bold enough to sign your name to it or not, you should be accountable. I recently heard about a woman who posed for provocative photos or videos (I don't remember) in her past and they were online. When she went to check YouTube, there were snarky comments made by random users about her appearance. She filed a complaint to find out about these people's real names and whereabouts and won. It just goes to show that because of the internet and the lack of accountability, people feel the need to say whatever and then get offended when people demand their rights to the truth.
 This show is created by a woman with a gay relative, who although not famous, has dealt with alot of judgment and chastisement. So she can see how the internet age has turned many people in our society into judgmental, close-minded, venom-spewing cowards. I say cowards because anyone who doesn't put their real name or identity online for people to find out. That's why I'm not afraid to sign my real name to my work, because it's my opinion, my research, or my thoughts and anyone who wants to challenge that respectfully has that right. Just like I think these bloggers who truly get a rise out of us by being negative and demeaning to public figures feel like they have that right.
 Yes celebrities can be irritating because they don't understand the everyday person's struggles, they are out of touch with reality, they feel a sense of entitlement that extends to the law and beyond, or they just do stupid stuff. Who doesn't? I don't feel this culture of negativity and judgment does anything but create a society of people who will say anything online, but face to face will not own up to what they really think. If you don't like someone's behavior say so. But how can you hate someone you've only learned about through blogs, interviews, and appearances? I think people can appreciate and admire from a far, just like they can judge from the shadows. We'll never know the truth unless we see that person and see who they are beyond the speculation. That goes for anyone in our lives rather they're on tv or not.
 I hope this show does succeed in opening people's eyes to see beyond what's fed to us through blogs, gossip shows, and such. I think we owe it to ourselves to face the truth rather than just try to blog about it.

H8R NY Times

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.