Sunday, September 11, 2011

With Friends Like These

 The other night I was flipping channels and stumbled upon Friends. For some reason, before then I never watched a full episode. I had placed my deep seeded prejudices about television and culture on to the show before fully evaluating it. I finally decided to throw caution to the wind and really watch the show as a television lover. And what I found was that I loved Friends more than I could have thought.
 There's something enchanting about it that I didn't see before. There is no radically new character, but the way each character interacts with each other is so funny. The romantic tensions add a layer of vulnerability to the show as well. But what I love is how each episode title is complimenting the central plot of the episode, so you know what to expect.
 I also can appreciate how each character has different struggles with their careers, relationships, and family. Joey trying to be an actor is especially funny. I mean there are very few things funnier than an actor playing an actor. And Matt Le Blanc does it superbly. Or how about Monica trying to tame her neurotic tendencies that was presumably brought on by her struggles with weight as a teen? I think that is a very relevant way to address something that so many people deal with.
 Are any of these characters realistic? Well, I would say to a certain extent yes and also no. For example, there are many people like Rachel Green who suffer the fate of learning about everyday life by being cut off from their parents. But is there a Ross Gellar who can't seem to find the right wife? Yes but would he continue to marry? Um, ok I guess you could look at Donald Trump as an example of that. But as a whole could six people completely exist as such as these? I guess only time and television history will tell?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.