Wednesday, August 24, 2011

5 Things About Murder, She Wrote

For some reason, I've recently reacquainted myself with Murder, She Wrote. It was a huge hit when I was a kid and my mom would hopelessly beg me to watch it, but I couldn't pull myself away from In Living Color with my dad. I mean Ugly Wanda, Men at the Movies, and my all-time favorite Homey the Clown were no match for J.B. Fletcher and friends. But now with the help of Hallmark Movie Channel, I've become delightfully enthralled with Angela Lansbury's Cabot Cove alter-ego. I know present 5 things you notice about Murder, She Wrote while watching.

1. Jessica Fletcher has Mad Relatives

By mad I mean both crazy and numerous. Every other episode seems to feature a niece, nephew, in-law, or cousin of some sort. They usually are in trouble by the time Jessica arrives to save the day and they also have no clue who framed them. In some episodes, Angela Lansbury plays her own English cousin which brings me to number two.

2. Cabot Cove Covers Cockney Roots

Now I've never met anyone from Maine, but I'm pretty sure they don't sound as precise or exacting with their language as Jessica Fletcher. In reality, I believe the producers said the character was from Maine to hide the fact that Angela Lansbury herself is from across the pond. I didn't find this out myself until I was older, but I always did wonder why she sounded so different from other TV sleuths like Matlock and Magnum, which leads me to number three.

3. Famous Faces Flock to the Cove

If you read the opening credits of any given episode, you'll probably see a name that you recognize. Angela Lansbury was very good about having her own old Hollywood friends make guest appearances throughout the series, but there were also a good number of rising stars on the show. The other day I saw Courtney Cox playing Jessica's niece among other key players. You'll never know who hangs out at the Cove until you tune in.

4. Angela Lansbury Wasn't First Choice

I saw Angela Lansbury's Biography and to my surprise the original choice for J.B. Fletcher was Jean Stapleton, of All in the Family. Stapleton turned down the part and the rest they say is history. Looking back, I think that was a good thing. Unfortunately, Jean Stapleton was associated with such an iconic ditz, it's hard to see her portraying someone very adept and intelligent.

5. We Never Know What "B" Stands For

I hate when shows do things like this and don't explain or let the secret out. It's almost like the 80's version of Guess Who? But I don't want to guess who, I want to know who or bet yet what B stands for in J.B. Fletcher. Is it Brown? Bellamy? What about Bieber? I guess now it doesn't matter because now it's the stuff of pop culture legend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.