Sunday, August 21, 2011

TV Themes: Where have they gone?

I grew up in an age where there were awesome television theme songs existed. This wasn't that long ago; it was only the 1990s. But for some reason with the new millennium, the number of television shows with opening songs has disintegrated dramatically. Now, I know some of you say, you can't relive the past. This is true, but I like to be properly introduced to the characters with some kind of cool video montage with music isn't that much to ask is it. Below, I'll share some of my all-time favorites

Psych, "I Know You Know"

I write about Psych alot because it's one of my personal favorites on television today. Not only that it has a way of being modern, but it pays homage to some of the television greats.  I think that's best summed up in the theme song. Not only that, but for special episodes they have artists such as Boyz II Men and Tears for Fears' Curt Smith sing it in their respective musical styling.


All That, "This Is All That"

You're talking about a classic song by a classic group. TLC, one of the all time great girl-groups gave a totally awesome theme song. Not only that, but the way the kids jump up and down is awesome. It also helps you remember that Nick Cannon and Kenan Thompson, among others were just as talented as kids as they are now.


Inspector Gadget, "Inspector Gadget Theme"

If you don't know the theme for Inspector Gadget, then you obviously don't know one of the best instrumental themes in all of television history. Not only was the Inspector Gadget Theme the best way to sum up one of television's most bumbling private eyes, but it served as a wonderful sample for the early hip-hop classic "The Show" by Doug E. Fresh and The Get Fresh Crew.

The Wonder Years, "With A Little Help From My Friends"

Very few shows get away with credibly incorporating real songs into themes, but The Wonder Years has always been one of the best shows for breaking rules. Soulfully sang by Joe Cocker, it's also one of the best covers of a Beatles' song ever (sorry, Ringo). I personally enjoy how it pretty much sums up main protagonist Kevin Arnold's life. He would've went nowhere without his two best friends and the show may not have been the same without this song.

Now obviously these have a nostalgic theme ringing through, but I do have others that I enjoy such as the Matlock theme and I Dream of Jeannie, but these are the ones that have a lasting impact, as well as get stuck in my head. Here's to hoping there are more shows who find ways to do that in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.