Thursday, October 13, 2011

Lloyd Hits Below the Belt

If you've heard R&B crooner Lloyd's latest retro-fused track, "Miss That (Dedication to My Ex)" you would probably think this is a nice song about a broken hearted guy, right? Wrong. Lloyd is really singing about missing a certain part of his ex-girlfriend in the unedited version. I'm sure you're asking two questions, one: Who is Lloyd? And, two what part of his ex is he lamenting?
 Lloyd, is an R&B star with what I would consider fledgling success. He hasn't had a real huge hit to cross over on top 40, but he is very visible appearing on tracks by Lil' Wayne among others. Why is he talking about his ex-girlfriend in such a way? Well, I think you could probably attribute that to desperation for a hit and also just trying to seem cool.
  It's never cool to refer to a woman by her body parts, much less one of the most intimate parts of her body. To me, this song is a new low. Have people ran out of ideas so much that they think it's appropriate to promote the mistreatment of women by referencing them only by parts of their anatomy? Or have we accepted the fact that some people will do anything for attention rather than being cognitive of real artistry? I hope not.
 I've personally decided to boycott the song. If it comes on the radio, the dial will be turned. If it's on television, the channel will be changed. I've said many times free speech is great, but it gives no one any right to promote the degradation of women, the beliefs that sexuality is the key to romantic acceptance, and that you have to change for approval of anyone. I'm actually thinking of writing Lloyd, to let him know how I really feel because they only way change will happen is if someone speaks up.
 And believe me, you don't want to listen to this song at any cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.