Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Worst Album Title Ever

 Jason Derulo has gotten on my nerves more than any other male popstar this year. Why? Unlike Bieber, he doesn't have the right grooming from an elder statesman like Usher and unlike Usher his songs get stuck in your head for the right wrong reasons (hook, beat, repetitiveness). Not only that, but he lacks vocal ability, songwriting ability, and originality. If you haven't seen his videos, it could best be summed up by a panelist on the MuchMusic show, Video on Trial: "Take a Justin Timberlake video and 1/2 the budget and this is what you get."
 And what's worse he's cockily named his album Future History. If that's not dumb, then it's at least misguided. His vocals sound like they've been processed through a vocoder and a cheese grater and the songs are so bad. I don't even know how people listen to his music, it's so bad. Aside from a deceptive sample he used on his very first single, I knew he was a hot mess one-hit wonder waiting to happen. Why?
 Essentially he embodies the true qualities of The Poor Man's Male Pop/R&B star. As I mentioned earlier, his videos are cheaply made. And the concepts also show no insight as he admitted the concept for "In My Head" was based on that for JT's "Like I Love You." Let me tell you, it's as much as an homage as Beyonce's video for "Countdown" is unique.
 But back to the fact of the title, Future History. I seriously doubt we'll remember him or this album in a couple of years, much less in twenty to twenty five years like any of Jason's influences. I just hope people stop buying his music so he has time to get a real job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.