Thursday, July 28, 2011

40 Something in Hollywood

 Biography's airing a special tonight on 40 something stars who have remained famous among an industry that has historically suffered from ageism. I have several reasons why people appreciate celebrities who aren't necessarily  young and fun.
 Older celebrities have lives beyond a camera. Many actors and actresses at this stage have children, charities, and causes beyond the screen. Young Hollywood is typically more concerned with exposure and building a career rather than trying to expand their influence to other causes. I'm not pigeonholing every young star, but if you've ever read an interview with young ladies whose first name is Jessica, there's not much beyond how they prepare for a role, their strange eating habits, and their constant struggle with their looks. Now I won't narrow it down to a certain Jessica or even say that it is all of them, but just to show how they can't really appreciate that their are times that people want to hear about life beyond the screen.
 More experienced stars tend to not draw ridiculous attention. I really believe that some younger stars don't understand that one statement on Twitter, a supposedly out of context soundbite or even a heated exchange with a photog outside of The Ivy becomes instant fodder for tabloids. I'm not saying live in cover of darkness, but I think the mystery of not always being so palpable for consumption pays off in people wanting to see your talents rather than your explanation for getting mad on TMZ.
 Finally, most older celebrities have a history with the public. I've grown up watching Brat Pack movies and 90's rom-coms rather than some of the newer fare that doesn't always draw my interest. While I'm familiar with several young celebs, their ability to stand the test of time hasn't been challenged yet. I think once public tastes change and we see who will have the staying power, it may be different. Who knows who'll be on the next special in 2020?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.