Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tell Me Why: Robert DeNiro in New Years Eve!

 I was watching Entertainment Tonight's preview of the sequel to Valentine's Day, New Year's Eve. Okay, I admit it, I watched Valentine's Day last year because some silly part of me thought it might actually be good. And the fact that legendary rom-com director, Garry Marshall (Pretty Woman, Runaway Bride) was directing and producing it as well as the sappy Taylor Swift song from the soundtrack,  Today Was A Fairytale (darn it Swift!). What can I say, some part of me likes to watch romantic comedies and pretend they happen, but as I've grown older and have been exposed to a greater fare of films, I have been more critical of movies. However, some strange part of me likes seeing the girl kiss the guy at the end. But I think I draw the line here.
 Robert DeNiro, arguably one of the most brilliant and dynamic actors of the past forty years is in New Year's Eve. I'm not saying Bob has no right to diversify. The original Meet the Parents is amazing, but after Meet the Fockers, I think we can all say he hasn't picked the best films. If I were DeNiro, I would make an awesome movie a year, somewhat like Jack Nicholson or Tom Hanks (Larry Crowne excluded). But someone of his status shouldn't feel compelled to take a movie just so he can be exposed to younger audiences or to seem cool to his kids. His body of work says it all.
 He's not the only one I have issue with being in this movie. Halle Berry, who seems to be suffering from an extended bout of the Oscar curse shouldn't do this movie either. I'm not saying she doesn't have a right to do the film, but she should consider going far left again because that's what got her the Oscar in the first place.
 Ludacris, really? Dude you were in Crash! You played one of the most sinister Law Order: SVU villains ever! You throw 'bows, not bows in sappy rom-coms. I could partially overlook No Strings Attached, but this is almost too much for me to bear.
  Now by all means this doesn't mean I won't watch the movie, I'm just admitting to not paying to watch this  movie. That's what FX is for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.