Tuesday, July 26, 2011

ComicCon: Not Just for Trekkies Anymore

 If you've watched any entertainment news or checked blogs lately, there has been a wealth of interviews of various actors, actresses, and directors from ComicCon this past weekend. I've heard of ComicCon before, but have scarcely pay attention to what it's about. Full disclosure, I was exposed to Star Trek as a child ( I think it was the one with Whoopi Goldberg and LeVar Burton) but after about the age of ten it stopped airing regularly in syndication and I lost interest.Something about science fiction seemed to not draw my interest and then as a freshman in high school I watched "Gattaca."  That movie changed my mind about what science fiction could be.
It could apply to real life in new and transparent ways. And when I found out the new movie from the director of Gattaca was going to be featured in ComicCon I got re-interested.
 The movie is called In Time and features a cast of various talents from Young Hollywood with Justin Timberlake as the main protagonist. Cast notwithstanding, the plot that involves aging stopping at twenty five and people trying to remain in power by how long they live is intriguing. It deals with issues of social class, power, and aging. It is not only sci-fi, but neo-noir which is something I definitely enjoy.
 Apart from that I noticed how many people from different movies including the Total Recall remake, Captain America, and others were there. I think ComicCon has expanded to include more noticeable faces but has become great for both the comic and movie industries. Its a promotional venue that is fan friendly and introduces something that was once considered a niche area further into pop culture mainstream.
 Apart from movies various television shows are showcased. One perennial favorite is my favorite television show for the past 5 years, Psych. Psych is a dramedy mystery with lots of pop culture references but definitely appeals to fan-boys which is why I think it has lasted so long. Why it hasn't been recognized by the Emmy's is beyond me, but the devotion of fans is definitely something that has helped keep it popular.
 All in all, ComicCon isn't just for those who know the real story about the Dark Knight or can quote all of Star Wars Episode 3, it is for people who enjoy all kinds of pop culture who want to learn about what's on the horizon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.