Thursday, July 28, 2011

Please Check: Yes, No, or Maybe, But Do It For Your Country

 In the past few weeks, several celebs have been asked out to military balls by various members of the armed forces. It all started with Mila Kunis, then Justin Timberlake, then Betty White, somehow Linda Hamilton, flash to Miley Cyrus and now Scarlett Johansson. Now this was cute the first and maybe the second, but by the time it got to the lady from Terminator, I was like please stop.
 I believe that supporting the military is just as important as voting and paying taxes. But does doing the electric slide qualify as support or something else? I honestly believe that the military makes a huge commitment to do their best and protect us, but does that give them free reign to say hey, you better dance with me. This reminds me of the fabled rite of passage and immense awkwardness of the middle school dance. You get asked out and you want to go, but not alone but not with Joe who drools in the middle of third period. Everyone can relate. However, with the military, the pressure intensifies.
 I think the reason several of the celebrities have accepted is because of the fact that it would look unpatriotic if you didn't. But let's be honest. If you have made a commitment months in advance, decided to take time off or just plain can't shouldn't be held against you. I mean if people can  get out of weddings, graduations, and other special events of close family members, I believe we can cut some slack to Betty White for having to shoot an episode of Hot in Cleveland.
 Also, the level of attention that will automatically be garnered because of a certain star showing up causes the need for more security. The actual event may not even be as enjoyable because of this. It's like when the popular kid joins the AV Club and now everyone wants to join. The whole culture changes because a different person enters the mix and the environment changes.
 Finally, how come there's only one female officer asking out a male celebrity. If I was in the Militia, I'd definitely have a long list of guys to ask, but since I'm not, I'll just have to imagine it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.