Saturday, August 13, 2011

Accentuating the Situation

I've noticed through careful observation that several of television's most popular characters have distinct accents that either can help or hurt the credibility of the character. Below, I'm addressing some of the most iconic (in my opinion).

Brenda Lee Johnson, The Closer
 Thank Yew. That's her trademark phrase. She's funny, she's brash, and she's unapologetic, but perhaps the first thing you notice about TV's favorite female cop is her southern drawl. As a southerner, it's too much at times to handle. Sometimes her tone is right in personal situations, but other times it sounds more comedic than realistic. Nevertheless, when I did hear Kyra Sedgwick talk in real life I was surprised to hear her, she's very distinct in real life. She really flips the switch quite well.

The Fonz, Happy Days
Ey. That's all he had to say before some girl would swoon with pleasure and delight. Arthur Fonzarelli may have been Milwaukee's favorite New York export but his tone sounded to heavy. Now there's obviously some things that New Yorkers say that are distinct like "you's guys" and "forgetaboudit" but for the most part they don't sound so harsh. But for The Fonz's cool factor, it worked for the most part. Henry Winkler, once again sounds very normal when he talks, but that's the sign of a good actor.

Robin Scherbatsky, How I Met Your Mother
What's this aboot? How's this possible that she made the list? Well, quite simple. She was very much a stereotype, but nonetheless provides great comic relief. Not to mention Cobie Smulders is really Canadian so bonus points for that. Robin doesn't always get too Canadian, but when she does it's funny. She not only says the word differently, but makes references to things Americans are clueless about and Barney's replies usually entail what many of us hate to say we think. I can personally relate to this because I once had a professor who said aboot and oot so many times that I was puzzled until at the end of the semester he finally confessed he was from the Great White North. Glad I figured it oot.

Steve Urkel, Family Matters
 Nerds don't have accents. I say this with authority because I have self-identified as one since I was five. Steve Urkel, however, is not your average nerd. He's awkward, intruding, and lacking in social graces. His high-pitched tone served as one of the mitigating factors of why people got bothered with him so fast. But come on, it was one of the easiest voices to impersonate. Not only that, but he was very much identifiable by his whine. Stefan (one of the best alter egos ever), however, now that's a voice I'd like to hear more often.

Please let me know if there's any other accents, I forgot to mention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.