Monday, August 8, 2011

Murph's Picks Week 3

 In this week's Murph's Picks, I picked an episode of one of my favorite shows, How I Met Your Mother. And while we still haven't met the mother, we've met all of Ted's friends. This episode centers on Marshall and Lily and they're struggle to conceive as well as a shocking tragedy at the end. While this is a rerun from last winter, it still stings with powerful emotion. "Bad News" has to be one of the best episodes of the series.
 If you've seen the episode you know it deals with death. But what I appreciate is how it deals with death. Unlike other shows which kills off characters as a way to tighten budgets or deal with egos, this death serves a purpose in developing the characters' as adults and as real people we can relate to.
 I know with all of the bad news this weekend, the last thing you want is to watch something sad, but it is funny. Barney's quips always provide a good anecdote to the heavier themes. To be honest, the worst part is the last 30 seconds.
 It's sad, but it's real. I'm not saying watch it to watch it, but if you want a great half hour of television it'll move you in a new way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.