Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Debate That Knows No End

Every since 1998, I've engaged in one argument that seems to know no end. It's probably the one thing twenty-something women and (some) men would agree to disagree with. It's not Pepsi v. Coke or Pizza Hut v. Domino's it's not even McDonald's v. Burger King.
 *NSYNC v. Backstreet Boys: who is the better boy band? Who carries the title? I just finished reading an article on EW's PopWatch Blog with an enlightening debate about whose better. I really believe now that the answer may never be justified.
 I will be honest, I am an *NSYNC loyalist. Ever since I was ten and happened to fall on "I Want You Back" when MTV actually showed videos in the afternoon, I've loved Justin, JC, Joey, Lance, and Chris. And still I'm into what Justin Timberlake does. But when I went to college and had a few debates with Backstreet loyalists, I discovered how much I love their music.
 Backstreet's harmonies are amazing. Their voices draw you into the song and don't let you go. *NSYNC, however, throws you into a song with a hook and then a voice. It depends on what mood you're in to determine who suits you better, but circa 2001, I would have said *NSYNC. Their songs were constantly upbeat and their videos were awesome.
 I really enjoy even now talking to people who grew up arguing about JT versus Nick Carter or Brian Littrell versus JC Chasez. Like I said, it depends on who you follow and your mood.
 *NSYNC will probably never reunite, but I think I'm ok with that. Did anyone really think Justin Timberlake would give up the money or the autonomy he's had for the past nine years? Lance is gay we know, but I think he probably's still trying to find a way to get back into space. And as for the others, well, they still have money somewhere right?
 Backstreet Boys, in my opinion should take a real break. They haven't since AJ first went to rehab. And it's showing. Yes, they're successfully touring with New Kids, but they haven't really pulled what other boy bands have in making us miss them. And to be honest, I miss Kevin very much.
 But I digress. I think that each group will live on in nostalgia countdowns on VH1 and iPods. Will *NSYNC replace JT on the reunion circuit? I would hope not. Will BSB completely disband? I doubt it. And while each group will only live on in memory, they're always still be the laugh us uber- fans will have over 98 degrees.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/08/09/backstreet-boys-vs-n-sync/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.