Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Lopez, Not Tonight

I feel bad for George Lopez, today officially marks the second time he's been unceremoniously cancelled by network brass. He's funny. He's kooky. And he's probably expensive too. But I digress.
 Lopez Tonight was a great idea and was one of the ways late-night was becoming flavorful and diverse. However, with the cancellation of Lopez Tonight and The Mo'Nique Show, it's getting back to old hat. But it's not necessarily the color of the host holding things back.
 Conan O'Brien is suffering from low-ratings despite a groundswell of internet support after last year's fiasco with Leno. However, it's proving not to be enough. Late night is cruel and if you don't hold the attention of the audience, they'll go to sleep on you. Literally.
 I've seen Lopez Tonight a couple of times and it's funny. But I think the problem was Lopez's attention for the wrong thing. Instead of the funny videos and skits he composed, it focused on his jabs at Kirstie Alley and Jay Leno. I also think people get so used to looking at late night on network that they forget about cable.
 We still have Jimmy Fallon. I just wish he didn't come on so late. Slow Jamming the news, Beer Pong with Betty White, and History of Rap with JT (pts. 1 and 2), are all instant classics. Not to mention he has the best band ever in The Roots as his house band.
 But back to George Lopez. I hope the next time he gets a show and they decide to cancel it, he gets fair warning as well as a proper finale.
 In the meantime, I guess I'll just have to wait for History of Rap part 3.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/10/lopez-tonight-cancelled/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.