Sunday, August 14, 2011

I Understand Now...The Mystery of ESPN

I understand the mystery of it all now. One of the greatest mysteries of my life is how someone can watch one channel or family of channels for hours at a time. Yes, I've actively watched marathons of Law & Order and Psych but these are shows that have different plots. Even watching a music countdown, leads to the excitement of what will end up as number one. But a single network, why? Well sometime several months ago, I found myself at home under the weather and flipping channels in bed. The talk shows were boring, the real news was depressing, and E! was probably showing a Kardashians' marathon. And then somehow I landed on First Take on ESPN2. I was hooked. I finally understand how people watch ESPN for hour on end.

Secret #1: The Talent
ESPN knows how to pick great talent. From Keith Olbermann  to Stuart Scott, they always know who to put on the air. I would even argue that the diversity of reporters, anchors, hosts, and commentators is among the best in all of television. I mean how else could you explain the range of former athletes to the guy who wrote Tuesdays with Morrie?


Secret #2: Quick Headlines
ESPN usually doesn't stay on any one story longer than 30 minutes and the 30 minute stories are usually post-game wrap-ups. The big networks could really learn from this. You hear a story, the angles, the soundbites, and then they close. That's all we need. Not this breaking news every five minutes where the president wants to talk for ten years and interrupt our favorite show.

Secret #3: Great Interviews
You know how celebrity interviews on Today sometimes end with an awkward personal question or in Matt Lauer's case a huge blow up with the Top Gun? Not on ESPN. In fact, they ask fun questions about the athlete's hobbies, interests, or charities. And if they're in studio they usually play a game of some sort.

Secret #4: Cool Cameos
The week that Hangover 2 was released, Justin Bartha pretended to hide all over the First Take set in an homage to his character's predicament in the first movie. Not only that but one day Lil' Wayne dropped in to debate with Skip Bayless on live television. That doesn't happen on The View!

Secret #5: Arguments
Around the Horn, Pardon the Interruption, and 1st and 10 are all good examples of this. You get every kind of argument from crazy to stat-laden, but it's interesting. Some of the best debates I've seen combine social issues such as race and gender.

I seriously don't know that much about sports, but something about ESPN draws me in. I don't know if it's the voices or the excitement that's palpable or what, but I totally see why people watch it and don't get bored. What about you? Is there a channel that you can watch and get lost in?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.