Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Please Cloo Me In!

 Last night, I was flipping channels and fell on my fave, Psych. I was excited because it was a Psych marathon. However, the channel I was watching was not the Sleuth channel that aired a Psych marathon a couple of weeks ago, but the Cloo channel!
 In my mind was, What the who is a Cloo? And then I realized. This is a result of the text-message, Twitter generation. NBC Universal, the parent conglomerate behind this name change is trying to keep up with the kids nowadays and totally disregard spelling and grammar.
 Now mind you, I'm in no way a grammar enthusiast, but I can appreciate what my teachers did to help get me on the right track. Why misspell words intentionally?  NBC Universal already changed Sci-Fi to SyFy to remove the stigma of science fiction. However, is their a stigma to liking crime thrillers?
 I say no. As someone in love with crime thrillers, I can attest to this. Science fiction is the same way. We like what we like. There shouldn't be any stigma or embarrassment about that. Sleuth means someone who solves crimes and enjoys the mystery.
 Why couldn't NBC Universal let those who didn't know what sleuth meant enjoy the mystery and then go to Wikipedia for history? Is everything going to be in text language? Am I going to have to blog in code?
 I hope not, because I'm not smart enough to look like I don't have a cloo about words.
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Sleuth-Name-Cloo-1031554.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no discriminatory or inflammatory language. I appreciate comments being posted, but in a way that is respectful and positive to the internet community.